Sebewaing Couple Turns A Hobby Into Woodworking Business

Sebewaing Couple Turns A Hobby Into Woodworking Business

When Alan Green lost his job due to the COVID-19 pandemic, he and his wife, Larissa, decided to pursue woodworking as a hobby. The Sippywing family had no idea that their hobby would turn into a successful business.

Beck Street Woodworking specializes in kitchen and home décor, artisan gifts and more. Using a variety of woods from around the world, the company offers products ranging from cutting boards, serving trays, crepe boards, and more. The couple is passionate about creating handcrafted family heirlooms that are meant to last a lifetime.

"I was a teacher during COVID and was always interested in woodworking, but I didn't have the space or time," said owner Alan Green. "Not long before COVID hit, my wife and I bought a house with a really good wood shop. When COVID hit and all the schools closed, I said I'd cut the slate and see what happened." Then I posted on Facebook and the rest of the story.

Green's business differs from other woodworking companies in that he likes to focus on small pieces of art rather than large pieces of furniture.

“As far as woodworking, I try to do smaller things. People ask me if I make furniture and tables, but it's not really my thing, I prefer to do smaller things. I have a very strong relationship with agriculture, so I work a lot. with local farmers, showing cattle and doing things", their slogans say.

Alan's passion for carpentry stems from his interest in knowing how things are made and how they are built. After receiving his first mitre for Christmas as a student, Alan thought he might find his passion for woodworking somewhere in his busy life and schedule.

"I've always been interested and I've always wanted to know how something works, to know how to build something," Green said. My grandfather was a carpenter. Once when I was in college I got a dead saw for Christmas. I wouldn't say it was anything serious until COVID hit, I always say it was a COVID-related hobby that turned into a business because I kept doing new things and people were buying things and the rest kept going.

In the early stages of his business, Alan combined his full-time job with the many orders he and his wife received each day. He wanted to spend more time in the carpentry business, and the support of the community prompted him to take a part-time job to spend more time at work.

"I moved in January to become a part-time contractor for them so I was able to free up more time to work," Green said. "It got to the point where I was too busy myself and orders were coming in in four to six weeks because I had so much to do."

Every piece of art that Green creates is made in his home. With a woodshop in their backyard, the Greens take the time to make sure every detail is done right, even if it means working in the kitchen and dining room. Products feature many different great designs, including Michigan Gauntlet, Great Lakes, and more.

"I really don't know," Green said of her modeling. "I see graphics that I really like and think, 'Would that look good on a cutting board or a hot dog board?' "For using Adobe products, which are very useful because there are a lot of graphics involved. In fact, it's just a matter of looking at something online or in public and saying, 'Oh, I can find something my way.

The couple had their spring open house last week, which included a variety of woodwork from cutting boards to yucker boards. The couple also visits several different galleries at Keepsake Collections in Saginaw and Clarkston, as well as the Port Austin Farmers Market most weekends. With the help and support of the community, family and friends, the business is doing very well.

"I think it's very positive," Green said. "One of the great things about Sebewaing is the great support from the community. A lot of people want to support local businesses and business owners support other business owners, so it's all been positive."

The Greens are looking to expand their business and offer more merchandise, including acrylic products like jewelry and key chains. The couple also plans to expand to receive more job applications from companies with agricultural experience.

"I wish," Green said. "Hopefully I can expand and do more corporate bookings. The only good thing is if you get an order of 100, you can tie things together and make it easier to get started."

"I have a laser that opens up so many possibilities. One product I haven't had time to use is acrylic, and all I want to do is use acrylic products because they have so many possibilities, like key chains and jewelry."

Beck Street Woodworking has an online catalog where customers can browse and find the right gift for them. They have a variety of options that make great gifts for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and Mother's Day. For more information visit their website and find the perfect little wooden gift today.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects