Community Workshop Teaches Woodworking Skills In An Inclusive Environment

Community Workshop Teaches Woodworking Skills In An Inclusive Environment

Sheva Greenwood spent time sifting flour, measuring sugar and rolling the dough, and her hands smelled like freshly baked bread.

Today, Greenwood has gone from dessert to saw to oven to kitchen table, learning to use tools such as chainsaws, routers and mixers, trusting the process.

"I've always liked working with my hands, and for a while I thought I should try my hand at woodworking," said Greenwood, a Loyola University graduate student. "For years I wanted to create something physical that I could enjoy. But it took faith in a supportive environment to push me to do it, and I found that at the NOLA Community Workshop.

Sheva Greenwood cuts the vertical edge of a leaf that will become part of a maple fall table.

The workshop, led by women, aims to provide an inclusive environment for all those interested in woodworking, regardless of race, gender, socio-economic status or skill level.

Located on Calhoun Street near South Claiborne Avenue, the shop offers tools of all shapes and sizes, including saws, table saws, planes, routers, plunge routers, hand tools, drills, belt sanders and air compressors;

The space is shared with the 1881 Institute of Technology, a nonprofit workforce development initiative that prepares underrepresented populations for careers in engineering and advanced manufacturing.

Kerry Rasor is the owner of the lab and Chelsea Van Voorhees is the director.

The hammers are lined up and ready to go.

"Many of our space users don't have carpentry tools or carpentry tools and equipment, but they don't have the space to use them," Rasor said. "We have a lot of people who are relatively new to woodworking. Workshop instructors are available and all our lessons are aimed at all skill levels, including those who have never used a tool before."

A series of workshops and classes are offered on how to make bicycle racks, tables, installations, abstract chandeliers, wooden earrings and memory boxes. Each lesson provides instructions on how to properly use the specific tools needed to complete the project.

"Different pieces like table settings and wooden earring pieces are always offered," Rasor said. "We have seven instructors, including myself. I believe that by teaching people how to use equipment, we are giving them the opportunity to become more independent and develop and improve their skills."

Teacher Lee Gilmore, right, and Sheva Greenwood use a chainsaw to install a fence on a sliding table made by Greenwood.

The Workshop offers three membership levels: Developer, full membership for $100 per month; Weekend Warrior, part-time subscription $75 per month; and Dabbler, a one-time fee of $30. There's a sliding scale if needed, Rasor says.

Both Rasor and Van Voorhees have experience in woodworking. After ten years in the fashion industry, Van Voorhees took a 12-week course at the Furniture Craftsman Center in Rockport, Maine, and fell in love with woodworking.

“I have worked in many stores and learned that some areas are not inclusive. It is very important to me that art is accessible and safe for anyone who wants to enjoy it.

A few years ago, Rasor took a furniture-making course at the Chicago School of Woodworking, which he says "sparked a passion in me." After completing the program, he volunteered at a local non-profit organization in Chicago, teaching several classes, participating in carpentry workshops, and soon returned to the educational program.

"When I moved to New Orleans, I wanted to find a place to study carpentry," Rasor said. “That's how I found L'Atelier NOLA, which was then in the Suyan region. The astronaut moved to Texas when Hurricane Ida hit. So in the year I took over the business in 2021 and registered it as an L3C, Low Income LLC.

Greenwood, who recently completed a wooden storage box, said the kitchen table is nearing completion.

"It was great to see what I accomplished," Greenwood said. "I'm glad I pushed myself on this project. I learned a lot about woodworking and got the support I needed to prove to myself that I can do it. And I'm thinking about my next project, the panty box."

Access to the drill tool workshop

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects