Dallas ISD Woodworking Class Makes Rocking Horses For Sick Children

Dallas ISD Woodworking Class Makes Rocking Horses For Sick Children

The Dallas ISD Southern Vocational Institute's carpentry shop is a symphony of circular saws, sanders and drills as students work to carve horse parts to give to children at the Ronald McDonald House.

"It was fun," junior Leland Warren said. "He taught me things I didn't know."

Terry Stotts taught in the district for nearly 20 years, and for most of that time her students made rocking horses to donate as holiday gifts to the Ronald McDonald House.

"It's not just teaching kids carpentry, it's teaching them how to work and how to get a job," Stotts said. "It's about self-esteem and communication skills."

Students work in groups, each working on their part of the game. A portion of what they learn is imparted.

"Most people today can receive but not give," Stotts said. "It's just having a heart for other people, helping other people...giving back to those who need help."

Stotts said that includes his students.

local

The latest news from across North Texas.

"Some of these kids come in here and think there's not much they can do," Stotts said. "I hope one of these guys comes back and teaches one day."

For Stotts, teaching is more than just a job. "Yes, it's true," she said shakily. "You know? I don't like school. I think I like kids."

Love is not part of the plan for building a rocking horse, but love is every plan.

"When I have a chance, I think about sick children," senior Jose Zapata said. "I think about my family."

"He makes everybody feel good," Warren said. "I know how good it is to make children happy."

The toys will be delivered to the Ronald McDonald House during the week of Christmas.

Visiting my high school #shorts

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects