Ask Hackaday: How Small Is Your Shop?

Ask Hackaday: How Small Is Your Shop?

Electronics, metalworking, carpentry, sewing - whatever you do at home, you need a place to work. Many of us start small projects by piling them on our kitchen counter or dividing up space on a computer desk. But in the end, if we're lucky, we all end up in a special area. My first "workshop" was a corner of the basement that my father used for his woodworking projects. He built me ​​what looked like a giant bench at the time, but was probably only four feet long. The small size was good for me though, and on this workbench I sketched, planned, sketched and got my first real lesson on why you shouldn't pick up a welder without looking first. As a reminder, I still have that scar on my thumb.

Most of us eventually outgrow that first little gap as projects (and the junk they accumulate) outgrow the available space. Some of us continue to create the jobs we die for. Personally, I feel utterly inadequate when I see Frank Howarth's massive carpenter's construction with high ceilings, huge windows for natural light, and what appears to be a loading dock. Every time I see it I think of the work I could do there.

where could i Bigger is better when it comes to workspaces? Does more space make me a better handyman?

I guess. For me personally, a large carpentry shop can be a place where too many odds and ends are stored and an excuse to buy too many tools. We moved across the country last year and before I left I dismantled most of the woodworking equipment simply because heavy equipment is very expensive to move. I was planning to build a new carpentry shop that would be mostly hand tool based and would typically be smaller, quieter and less dusty. I figured all I needed was some bench space and a few blades, and that would require me to learn skills like carving swallowtails by hand. As I watched my tools roll down the Craigslist buyers aisle, I was glad that it would eventually make me a better carpenter.

Although I didn't build the district due to lack of free time, someone has to write these articles. - I still think a smaller workspace would be a definite plus. To find out what crafts are possible in a small shop, check out Clickspring, a YouTube channel dedicated to the coolest craft videos, including intricate open-case watches.

Chris creates his artworks, both watches and videos, in a ridiculously small studio of just 6.5 square meters. This long, narrow room houses two lathes, a milling machine, a sturdy workbench and plenty of well thought-out storage. The fact that Chris mainly works on clocks and other small parts probably adds to the workshop's productivity, as does the fact that he can go outside for larger jobs or steam work. But imagine working in this field and getting this quality of work. It turns out that size doesn't always matter.

Now it's your turn. How big is your store? Does a small shop limit you in any way? Do you think that makes you a better handyman? Is your small shop a temporary space on the way to something bigger and better? Share your thoughts in the comments section below and don't forget to share photos of your store and tips on how to use the space.

Presentation image: M. Carlson's laboratory.

learn HACK (best way) // ft. John Hammond

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects